2009 Susan G. Komen

2009 Susan G. Komen

Race for the Cure Series

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series is the world’s largest and most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer ever created.  The series of 5K runs and fitness walks raises significant funds and awareness for the breast cancer movement, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.

Since it started in 1983, the Komen Race for the Cure Series has grown from one Race with 800 people in Dallas to a global series of more than 120 Races with 1.5 million people participating on four continents.

Footsteps Heard Around the World
This year, in addition to the Races held in the United States, Komen Race for the Cure events will be held in Italy, Germany, Puerto Rico and the Republic of Georgia. Additionally, Race events are being planned in eight more countries in Africa, Europe and Central Asia.  Many countries are where Komen was in 1982—enmeshed in a culture of silence in which breast cancer is not addressed or treated. Komen Race for the Cure events help break down barriers of silence and shame while raising funds for life-saving breast health services in the host countries.

The Komen Race Series attracts people of all ages and fitness levels, from walkers to elite runners. All Komen Race for the Cure courses in the U.S. are certified by USA Track & Field, the national governing body for track and field, long distance running, race walking and cross-country events.

A Life-Saving Impact
Funds raised at Komen Race for the Cure events support breast cancer research and community-based outreach programs. In the United States, Komen Race for the Cure events are organized by local Komen Affiliates, and 75 percent of the net income from each Race event stays in the host community to fund local programs offering breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment. The remaining 25 percent of the net income supports groundbreaking breast cancer research. Internationally, the ratio of funds varies, based on the country’s needs.

In addition to raising funds, the Komen Race for the Cure Series is committed to educating the public through the I AM THE CURE.® program. By incorporating simple, action-oriented messages, I AM THE CURE emphasizes the importance of breast self awareness. This includes positive habits such as understanding your risk, the importance of regular screenings, knowing what is normal for your body and living a healthy lifestyle.

We’re In This Together

The National Presenting Sponsor of the 2009 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Series is Yoplait®.  National Series Sponsors are American Airlines, Bank of America, Coldwater Creek, FUZE Beverage, Ford Division, Mott’s, New Balance, and RE/MAX International.
At each Race, breast cancer survivors are celebrated through the National Breast Cancer Survivor Recognition Program, sponsored by Zeta Tau Alpha. Breast cancer survivors who wish to be recognized.

Visit ww5.komen.org to learn more.

Leave a Comment