- What is the minimum age requirement?
You must be 15 years of age on or before the final day of the course.
- How do I register?
Each class will have its own registration date and time. YOU MUST COME IN AND REGISTER IN PERSON. NO PHONE REGISTRATIONS
- When do I pay and how much?
Payment is due the first day of class once the participant completes the pre-course swim tests. Cost $125.00 (If paying by check one check made out to W.C.P.R. for $125).
- What is the pre-course swim test?
All participants must complete and pass all swim tests prior to starting the class. There are three skills you must successfully complete.
-300 yard (6 laps) continuous swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both and demonstrate rhythmic breathing. Swimming on back or side is not permitted. Swim goggles ARE allowed.
-Tread water for 2 minutes without stopping, using only the legs, hands must be placed under armpits.
– 10 pound brick test: swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, when the brick is beneath you in the water, surface dive feet first or head first in 7-10 feet of water to retrieve the 10 pound brick, return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back with both hands on the brick back to the starting point, exit without using a ladder or steps. Goggles ARE NOT ALLOWED.
- Are these timed events?
The 300 yard swim is not, but you may not rest once you have started. The 10 pound brick test must be completed within 1 minute 40 seconds, and you must tread water for 2 minutes without stopping.
- Can I miss any days?
All classes are mandatory
- What certifications will I receive?
After successful completion of the course, you will receive 2 certification cards. Lifeguard and First Aid Training, CPR for the professional rescuer which includes Adult/Child AED Essentials both are valid for 2 years.
- Can I get a job with the county?
Although we would like to hire everyone from our classes, not everyone can be employed with the county. The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certification is nationally recognized.
Please visit http://www.wcparksandrec.com to learn more.